Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Latest Updates

Get timely updates on immigration, work eligibility, and health insurance for international students.


The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information.

Overview of Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

A post-graduation work permit (PGWP) allows you to remain in Canada and work full-time after you complete a certificate, diploma, or degree program that is at least 8 months in length.

You do not need a job offer to apply and can work anywhere in Canada in any occupation. Certain jobs require a medical exam, such as those involving work with children or in health care settings. You are not allowed to work in jobs at risk of exploitation.

Benefits of applying for PGWP

A PGWP is a practical way to advance your career goals and gain Canadian work experience after completing your studies at TWU. For students who are interested in applying for Canadian permanent residency (PR), it provides an opportunity to gain one year of skilled work experience in Canada, which might be helpful for certain PR programs.

You can only apply for the PGWP once in your lifetime. If you are unsure if you will stay or return to Canada after your studies, consider applying for the PGWP in case your plans change, since you will lose the opportunity to apply 180 days after officially completing your program. 

Eligibility requirements to TWU students

To be eligible for a PGWP, generally, you must meet all of the following requirements:

  • You have completed a PGWP-eligible program at TWU. 
  • You have studied full-time for immigration purposes each academic session without taking gaps in studies that are not considered actively pursuing studies. You may take scheduled program breaks, such as winter break for all students or summer break for most undergraduate students.
  • You have completed at least 50% of your program in person in Canada.

In normal circumstances, online courses completed outside Canada do not count towards the length of your PGWP.

Special Note 1: If students enrolled TWU Program after August 31, 2022, students need to complete no more than 50% of their studies online, and time spent studying online outside of Canada was not counted toward PGWP eligibility.

Special Note 2:  If students enrolled TWU Program from March 2020 and August 31, 2022, and they used to take online courses or you plan to take online courses, note that IRCC has recently announced a new policy that impacts international students planning to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) while taking online/distance learning courses. 
If students meet all requirements on IRCC official website HERE (the policy was updated in December 2023), students can use the following policies to apply for PGWP.

  • From March 2020 to August 31, 2022 : 100% online due to COVID-19, outside of Canada (no impact your PGWP Eligibility and Length
  • From September 1, 2022 to August 31, 2024: Students must complete at least 50% of their program inside Canada (online or in-class). The time spent studying outside of Canada before August 31, 2024, won’t be deducted from the length of their PGWP as long as it constitutes less than 50% of their program(in total credits) of study. 

Length of the PGWP

The length of the work permit ranges from 8 months to 3 years based on the length of your full-time program.

Length of the program you completed is less than 8 months
Length of the program you completed at least 8 months, but less than 2 years
Length of the program you completed more than 2 years
If have you completed more than 1 program

Can I work after applying for the PGWP?
When can I apply for the PGWP?
How to apply for the PGWP?

If you still have questions related to immigration, health insurance, and life as an international student in Canada?

  • Workshops and Seminars: Our workshops and seminars are conducted regularly to help international students stay informed and empowered. Link to TWU Calendar.
  • Service Hub: For personalized assistance in resolving immigration-related questions, please submit your inquiries through Service Hub. Our team is here to provide specific support and help with any concerns you may have. Please note that TWU RCICs or RISIAs can only advise international students, their spouses, common-law partners, and children. We do not submit IRCC applications on behalf of international students.
Print Article


Article ID: 153475
Sat 8/5/23 11:16 AM
Mon 5/13/24 12:02 AM